Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Leak

Returned home from a relaxing vacation in Nantucket to find water damage to my apartment. Sometime between the Tuesday and Saturday that I was gone, the pan beneath my upstairs neighbor's tub (several floors up) broke and caused water to leak and damage almost all of the units below him. I discovered the damage when I returned on Saturday and was somehow the first to realize, so I have no idea when it actually happened. I assume it was earlier in the week because when I got home, water had completely soaked into the floors and were already warped. Besides my HW floors, the cabinet over the sink also appears to have held water for sometime and the particle board on the bottom of the frame has expanded and splintered. Here are some photos, though it is a bit hard to decipher the damage.
So the floors in front of my kitchen and the over sink cabinet frame will have to be replaced. Thank goodness for insurance, right? Well, sort of. I've learned a lot about how insurance works through this incident. The building's insurance is only covered for what was existing when I moved in - that means they are not going to pay for anything I installed during my renovations. That means no new cabinet from them (which I had installed), and since I had the floors refinished, they will replace the wood, but I will have to take care of the finishing/staining. My own insurance will have to pay for (minus my $500 deductible) the remaining items - boo!

Also not ideal is that since there is no real separation between the floors in my kitchen and the rest of the apartment, I will most likely have to have the floors throughout the entire apartment re-sanded and stained to that it matches throughout. This will include tearing out the new baseboards so that they can get to the edges (which will then need to be re-installed and re-painted) and obviously finding some place to put all of my stuff while they are doing the work. So it looks like you might be up for SohoReno part 2! And the closet and windows may need to wait a bit. Fun Fun - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment